NFL News : Michael Irvin's sex assault case just won't go away

Michael Irvin's sex assault case just won't go away

Read all the details here

Published on by The Football Feed in NFL News
Share on Facebook
40 40 Shares

Attorney Gloria Allred blasted Florida prosecutors Wednesday, saying they violated the privacy of her client who previously accused former Dallas Cowboys star Michael Irvin of sexual assaulting her last spring.

Per the Associated Press, Allred told a Fort Lauderdale press conference the statement issued by Broward County prosecutors last week when they decided not to charge Irvin was "irresponsible."

She's particularly angry the statement included details of Erica Berg's prescription and illicit drug use. Allred said Berg, 27, was going public to "protect future victims."

"For whose benefit are they attempting to justify a decision not to prosecute?" Allred said. "Who does that help and who does that hurt? The impact of that is that it hurts the person who makes the allegation.

“Absolutely, the public has a right to know if they decline to prosecute. I have no problem with that but it is this level of detail and the fact that they focus only on the person who has made the report to the police and prosecutor. Where is the equal scrutiny of the accused and why is that not there?"

Per the Sentinel, Berg sat quietly next to Allred, occasionally crying but declining to speak or answer questions. Berg accused Irvin, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, of assaulting her last March at a Fort Lauderdale hotel.

Prosecutors said there was insufficient evidence to charge Irvin, 51, citing her drug use, inconsistent statements and video that police said showed her acting normally as she exited an elevator with him after the alleged assault. The two had known each other about seven years and had been out drinking with two other people. Prosecutors had redacted her name from the report.

Prosecution spokesman Ron Ishoy said Berg's drug use was included in the report because it would have been an issue at trial if the case had been prosecuted and would have made the accusation more difficult to prove.

"We do not send out a simple 'we decline to prosecute' memo because we could then be accused of declining the case for no valid reason; we have to document the reason for our decisions," Ishoy wrote in an email statement to The Associated Press.

Share on Facebook
40 40 Shares

Source: Miami Sun Sentinal · Photo Credit: Keystone Press Agency