The war of words and money between the San Diego Chargers and defensive end Joey Bosa is finally over.
The Chargers announced Monday that Bosa, their 2016 first-round pick, had ended his contract holdout and signed his rookie deal.
The financial terms weren't released, but a source told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network the deal was worth $25.8 million, with a $17-million signing bonus. It was the standard length with Bosa signing on for four years, with a fifth-year option.
“We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season,” said general manager Tom Telesco.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Chargers gave Bosa the largest upfront signing bonus in franchise history and compromised on cash flow in years two to four, while Bosa's camp gave San Diego the offset language they desired.
The Chargers took the fight public last Wednesday, releasing a statement about the "best offer" they proposed to Bosa, which had been rejected by the rookie's camp. The club said the offer had been pulled because they believed Bosa could no longer contribute fully in 2016 after missing so much of the offseason.
Whether Bosa will immediately become a starter isn't clear. He missed all of training camp and three preseason games due to his holdout, but was believed to be one of the more pro-ready players in this year's draft.
The Chargers need a boost to their pass rush, and Bosa only needs to beat out second-year pro Darius Philon to crack the starting lineup.
Images Courtesy of Keystone Press