NFL News : Breaking: Decision made in Michael Irvin sex assault case

Breaking: Decision made in Michael Irvin sex assault case

Read all the details here

Published on by The Football Feed in NFL News
Share on Facebook
217 217 Shares

Hall of Fame former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin will not be charged with sexual assault by the State of Florida because of "a lack of evidence." 

Per the Dallas Morning News, the Broward County (Fla.) State Attorney's Office has officially closed its sexual assault investigation.

In early June, the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Police Department closed its sexual assault investigation into Irvin and turned over its findings to the state attorney's office. Broward County (Fla.) State Attorney Michael J. Satz had been reviewing the findings since then and determined there wasn't enough evidence to charge the Hall of Famer.

"Irvin was investigated on allegations of drugging and raping a 27-year-old woman, whom Irvin had considered a longtime friend, at a Florida hotel in late March. Irvin, 51, was never arrested and has adamantly denied any wrongdoing throughout the past four months."

"According to the Broward County investigation, the woman's rape kit test that was taken at the hospital came back negative. Also, the toxicology report showed that the female had drugs and alcohol in her system. According to the state attorney's investigation, the toxicology report showed that the woman tested positive for Amphetamines and cocaine. The woman told police that she had taken "a small amount" of Xanax and Ecstasy and also cocaine on the weekend before she met up with Irvin," wrote the News. 

"She insists that she did not take any drugs other than her Adderall on the day she went out with the defendant," according to the Broward County investigation.

Also according to the News, Broward County officials said they reviewed police reports, video surveillance evidence, controlled phone calls, sworn statements, a toxicology report and a crime lab analysis report during their investigation and determined, "it is clear there is not enough evidence to establish that a crime was committed.

"The victim's inability to recall details, the inconsistent statements, her alcohol and drug use, coupled with the video evidence showing her voluntarily entering the hotel with the defendant and two and a half hours later exiting the hotel elevator with the defendant while not appearing upset, make this a case where there is not a reasonable likelihood of conviction."

This isn't the first time that Broward County has elected not to pursue sexual assault charges against Irvin. On July 4, 2007, Irvin was accused of sexual assault while he was at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Fla. That case was also investigated by the Broward County State Attorney's Office, but charges were never filed. A civil suit was filed against Irvin in 2010, but that case was eventually settled out of court in January 2011.

In other news, Irvin is reportedly now looking into a debut in MMA fighting

Share on Facebook
217 217 Shares

Source: Dallas News · Photo Credit: Keystone Press Agency