NFL News : Report: Former starting DE cut by Buccaneers

Report: Former starting DE cut by Buccaneers

Read all the details here

Published on by The Football Feed in NFL News
Share on Facebook
110 110 Shares

The Buccaneers have waived former starting defensive end Jacquies Smith, sources told ESPN.

Smith and his agency, Synergy Sports International, tweeted about the release on Wednesday.

Smith, who suffered a torn ACL in Week 1 of 2016 and missed the rest of that season, had finally gotten healthy enough to play again.

He became a restricted free agent this offseason and took a visit to the San Francisco 49ers before ultimately signing his tender.

ESPN noted that Smith encountered a setback this summer that required an additional procedure. He was activated to the 53-man roster in September but caught the flu, which kept him from making his 2017 debut in Week 3. He was finally active last week against the New York Giants.

Before the Giants game, Bucs head coach Dirk Koetter expressed reservations about playing Smith, based on what he saw during practice.

"Jacquies looked sharp at times," Koetter said. "He had a real nice spin move, but at the same time -- and this is just my opinion -- like we said yesterday, he needs a little more contact work. You can't expect this guy to be ready to go at his former self without having full-speed football. I mean he just hasn't.

"It's been a long road back for Jacquies. When he was at his best, he was a pretty darn good pass-rusher."

Defensive coordinator Mike Smith said this week that he felt Smith "has had a tough go" and "has fought his tail off to get back."

Smith saw action in 27 games for the Bucs in 2014 and 2015, with 18 starts. He recorded 13.5 sacks during that span, second only to Gerald McCoy and the most of any Bucs' edge rusher at that time.

Follow me on Twitter

Share on Facebook
110 110 Shares

Source: ESPN · Photo Credit: Keystone Press Agency